We’ve shared a version of this post since 2013 – each year we add more great ideas & resources 🙂
Veterinary Nurse & Technician Awareness Week 10-14 October 2022
Vet Nurses Day Friday 14th October 2022
We all know how essential Vet Nurses are to your business and to the veterinary industry in general. And we all know what an awesome bunch of people they are!
Vet Nurses Day on Friday 8th October offers a fantastic opportunity to show your appreciation to all Vet Nurses.
So.. how will you spoil your Vet Nurses on Friday 14/10/22?
1. Pay for your Vet Nurses to be members of the VNCA
Why not pay for all of your nurses to be members of the Veterinary Nurses Council of Australia (VNCA)?
I’m a huge supporter and firmly believe that there are benefits of membership to practice owners, vet nurses & the industry.
Click here to visit the VNCA website for a great range of resources to help you celebrate Veterinary Nures & Technician Week 2022 and Vet Nurse Day 2022 including a poster, social media posts, etc.
2. Share resources with your clients to show how much you value your nursing team
- 10 Reasons Why Vet Nurses Are Awesome! (Cat the Vet)
- 10 Secrets to keep your veterinary nurses happy (Veterinary Practice News)
- Love Your Vet Nurse (what vet nurses and technicians actually do) (Our Pets Health)
Don’t forget to add #VetNurseDay and #myVNCA tags to your posts!
3. Choose from these ideas to celebrate how awesome your vet nurses are
3.1 These ideas are thanks to the blog post Vet Tech Week: Top 5 Creative Ways to Honor Your Technicians (Vet Success)
- Chair massages in your practice – bring in a massage therapist for mini chair massages
- Food trucks – choose an ice cream van, specialist food truck or coffee van with treats to park outside your practice (also a great way to attract attention from the general public!)
- “Mall Madness” shopping free – take your team to the local shopping centre, give them $100 each and tell them they need to spend it all in an hour. Alternatively add $100 to each staff member’s account for them to spend on their pets.
- Get Veterinarians involved – involve your vets by asking them to prepare tasty treats for the vet nurses, and ask your vets to handwrite thank you notes to your nursing team.
- Ask your industry reps to get involved – reps might be keen to be involved by sponsoring aspects of your celebration or helping to put together swag bags.
3.2 This list has been collected from our Community over the last few years including ideas that have been added to the Comments section below
- Close the practice for an hour in the quietest time of the day & get massage therapists in for a vet nurse pampering session;
- Organise small baskets of goodies for each nurse;
- Put a big banner in the waiting room so all clients know that it’s Vet Nurse Day & they can thank the vet nurses as well;
- Organise a dinner out with all staff as a thank you;
- Ask clients to make a gold coin donation on the day to whatever cause is close the clinic’s heart;
- Have a draw for one or two of your nurses to attend the 2023 VNCA Conference 19-21 April 2023 in Perth WA (although this one would be tough for those that miss out 🙁 )
- A special cake for morning tea
- Hand out massage vouchers
- Pay rise, chocolates & alcohol (in that order!)
- Cardboard hearts that clients can add a special message to and hang on a tree to be read out and given to the nurses at a special presentation on Vet Nurses Day
- Same idea as above but clients can purchase a heart for a gold coin donation and all money raised goes to your favourite charity
- Each nurse is to be given a piece of positive feedback specific to them
- Dedicated lunch celebration with NO interruptions followed by chocolate cake for afternoon tea
4. You could also check out these online ideas:
- Etsy gifts – veterinary nurse
- Spreadshirt – Veterinary Nurse T-Shirts
- I Love Veterinary – veterinary nurse